Saturday, March 28, 2009

Everthing Must Change

The original Garden of Eden is gone. I have not blogged since October, with packing moving and legal matters there wasn't much free time. I cannot help but daydream of the gardening projects and improvements to be done in the future at the new house. You can expect some future changes to this site, it's time for an upgrade.

The best thing about the new house might be the simple joy of multiple bathrooms. Yeah, maybe many of you take that for granted. I am just barely old enough to remember that indoor plumbing was one considered a luxury. My Grand pop was the only one in the family that had a real indoor bathroom when I was born. It was a time when folks grew their own food and tried to live close to nature. Now that paradigm is consider "green" and new.

There are many things once considered luxuries and now are deemed as something more important. Why does every child need their own cell phone at nine, ten or even twelve years of age. Just to text their friends? Why does every room have a t.v.? When I was a child, only the rich kids were lucky enough to have a corded phone of their own in their bedrooms. For that matter kids shared bedrooms until adolescence.......

Sounds like I am ranting I know, the point is with the economic downturn do children or adults know how to live with less these days? Where do we begin to draw the lines during these times?
(I'd like to start a dialogue on this topic, especially after reading the Mommanator's recent blog.
What changes are you willing to make?

2 comments:

Merci said...

I am really tired of Verizon's overpriced services. If I made the decisions alone, I'd give up the internet access and the land line, and stash the extra cash into savings each month. I'm already trying to conserve at the grocery store. I bought the wood stove to save on propane, and I don't use the oven too often - also to save on propane. I carpool (sort of) to work. I now color my own hair, and I get it cut much less frequently - that's probably the biggest saving of all. Now for the expensive side of life: a new puppy. Crate, extra gate, food, toys AND I will need a new fence, too...

mommanator said...

Well I am glad to see you finally got from under all the 'house' stuff! and posting! Welcome back, I miss your posts.
I also have been working/volenteering @ church @ the Clothes Closet-to help defray clothing costs. Some things come in nearly new. The clothes don't cost anyhting there!