Sunday, August 14, 2005

Is it karma?

I went shopping for historical novels of American history for my Mom's upcoming birthday. I cannot explain it but something kept pulling me to "The Alchemist," by Paulo Coehlo. It seemed to be everywhere but that was not my mission. Mom wanted to read American history and I was determined to start with the newly released "1776." I need new books like I need another pair of shoes. Determined to read those that I have at home before buying new ones I trecked on. Several books stores later I was loosing my determination as this book seemed to be everywhere. Humm, was it some kind of karmic sign or what? While reading on the net curiosity got the better of me. I had to find out what this book was about. To try to keep my vow to abstain from any more purchases I went to the local libary which to my suprise had one copy (with my name on it). If you haven't read it, let me suggest you do so. It's only 177 pages, a quick read by any standard. If you've read it please feel free to share your thoughts and comments. It calls itself a fable about a shepard boy who follows his dreams to find treasure. He travels across the desert to the Pyramids meeting interesting characters along the way. Each has a special role in his journey of self-discovery. There are messages about spirituality, culture and following your heart. Another recurring theme; when you make a decision to follow you dream the world conspires to support you. I loved it, it was the right book at the right time. Hummm, is there a pattern here? One things always leads to another. In the same way after watching "The Sea Inside" I wanted to read Ramon Sampedro. Following "Before Night Falls" it was Renaldo Arenas. After watching "Must Love Dogs" I went in search of Yeats. You never know where your next inspiration may come from. Happy hunting!

3 comments:

Joe Tornatore said...

trust your instincts. If Hansel and Gretal would have they would not have needed bread crumbs.

Pax Romano said...

I will search this one out, oh wise sage of the printed page!

Merci said...

I have a copy of Cold Mountain up for grabs, if you're still looking for American historical fiction...