Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Lost and Found


Drinking coffee while gazing at the backyard garden is one of the most supremely serene experiences. In early morning I do not turn on music as the naturalistic views and bird song are all one needs. Having repositioned the birdbath the birds now come closer than ever to the dining room windows. If you go quietly for the morning paper they don't seem to mind. Maybe they are busy enjoying the small fruits they find this time of year. I rarely get to eat any of the red raspberries, blackberries and grapes scattered across the garden. In fact the recent heatwave reminded me how important the water element is for these small creatures. Most days this is the scenario except when two rather large seagulls made an appearance. Were they lost? They were way off shore and looked as much out of place as two shoebees as the Jersey shore. Happily I can report another first, pairs of gold finches fluttering about the butterfly bushes. I highly recommend these deciduous shrubs for any home garden, as they attract more than just butterflies. Seeing birds return time and time again makes me think that the world is a beautiful place. Nature inspires serenity and the hope that mankind can turn it around. We don't have to remain off course like the lost gulls.

4 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

Thank you so much for your visit and comments at Morning Martini. Your request for twizzlers made me laugh because Mr Pop would surely make the same request.

I see from your post that you and I would be fine neighbors. I have one of my feeders and one birdbath just outside my kitchen window so I may watch them while doing anything at the sink. It's my entertainment. Your gold finches winter with me here in Florida. I buy special seed just for them. I'm glad they got home in good shape. Yes, we have a butterfly garden and yes it's wonderful.

The prettiest part of my world is in my garden of flowers and creatures. Sometimes I think it's really all I need of life.

Merci said...

And you have the most inspiring garden! Glad you're getting a nice breather.

Zelda Parker said...

POP
We seem to be kindred spirits anyone who enjoys a garden is OK with me.

Merci,
Albeit hot outdoors it is cool to come and go, do as I please.
Zelda

Pax Romano said...

Didn't you learn anything from Tippi Hedren? Stay away from those damn birds, girl!!!