Thursday, December 01, 2005

Pride & Prejudice review

Last week faced with three eagerly awaited films I end up going to see another remake of P&P which had been in theaters the longest. A bit sceptical at first, I succumbed to the advertising campaign. I thought nothing could replace the last version with Emma Thompson and Colin Firth. Either I have memory loss or the story was told with a new spin and yet kept to the original witty dialogue and humor. Kiera Knightly was pretty good as Lizzie and Donald Sutherland as her father, not bad! The actress who played the neurotic Mum was excellent. I cannot remember her name. She's been a few good (English) films. If you know her name please share it with me. Overall, I'd give it 3 out 0f 4, you may want to wait for DVD, but it is worth watching once again.
I cannot wait to see RENT and am intriques by Walk the Line. I'll keep you posted. HA HA

6 comments:

Joe Tornatore said...

keep you posted. i am going to use that one in the future. P&P movie is on my hit list.

Anonymous said...

Emma T. was in Sense and Sensibility, not P&P ;) Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehrle were in the BBC series, which was faithful to the book.

Having read the book several times, I'm skeptical of the new version. The dialogue in the ads and the attitude of the characters is definitely NOT true to Austen. I love the her gift for understatement, and I hate to see it tampered with. I'll probably wait for the DVD.

Anonymous said...

Make that Jennifer Ehle...

Merci said...

Just reread my comment above. Ack! I'm too much of an Austen-ite, I'm compulsive about it!

Zelda Parker said...

Guess it was good that you didn't accompany me to see it. Althiugh the debate afterward would have been interesting!
XOXO

Merci said...

I'll see it in the end, I'm sure. I've seen all of the versions so far, including a BBC version that predates the Firth/Ehle version. And nothing could be worse than the Olivier/Garson version, which was almost unrecognizable!

See, I told you I'm obsessive about it!