Thursday, January 12, 2006

Davy Baby & Joey B.

Usually I do not enjoy eating in the conference room at the office. Too much testosterone for one woman. Usually I cannot wait to run outdoors and play especially on such a mild day. Even with Mr. Testosterone sitting next to me today it was tolerable enough. The reasons that it was so enjoyable are as follows:
I was joined by three or four of my closest friends, Molly, Aunt Bubby,and cousin Mel. The usual cast of characters were present but they did not get to discuss sports, sex and competitive eating as usual. There were no embarrassing moments where I turned beet red for their amusement, not today.
Anyway, we continued a discussion that Big Daddy initiate this morning with Joey B. Seems our young protege does not know who David Bowie is. That was all it took to get me started as I consider myself one of his greatest fans. We gave the young Mr. B. A homework assignment to listen and learn about the androgynous creation of the 70's, Ziggy Srardust, the actor who gave us The Hunger, the Man who fell to Earth, and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Oh, how about his portrayal of Andy Warhol. Forgot what movie that was? What was it Pax? The man survived sex, drugs and rock and roll of the 70's to become a classic rock icon. After marriage and a second career as an artist he now models along with his beautiful wife in fashionable magazines.

Someone announced that we should develop a kind of jeopardy game for Joey B. to share all the glory and great bands of the 60's and 70's. So the remaining hour was filled with reminiscences over favorites from the 60's and 70's. Few of us may still remember Woodstock or the British invasion of the Beatles. Joey B. was only five when Live Aid took place. Remembering the the following was fun:
The Byrds
Bread
The Band
Janis Joplin
Cream/Eric Clapton
The Door/Morrison
Stevie Winwood
The Kinks
The Animals
Motown and Marvin Gaye
The Temptations/Four Tops/Smokey Robinson
Harry Chapin
Iron Butterfly
Pink Floyd
Don't even get me started about movies.....Last time we suggested he watch the Graduate.
All afternoon I could not get the Temptations rythms out of my head, " I got sunshine on a cloudy day"...
Pax I wish you could have been there to see what cha, cha, changes you started with our young American.

8 comments:

Pax Romano said...

Bowie played Warhol in the film,"Basquiat" (the life story of artist Jean-Michel Basquiat).

Glad you held down the fort today and had some sparkling lunch time conversation!!

Merci said...

We managed to rein in the conversation pretty well and bring it back from the brink a few times before we got onto safe turf. It really was fun! I'm only so-so at pop culture. Not sure where my head was during those years, probably in a book.

Merci said...

And estrogen rules.

Joe Tornatore said...

Of the bands that you mentioned, did the three little pigs comprise The Animals?

Merci said...

Hey, girls' night out sometime soon?

Elliott said...

I must announce that I have now listened to all of Bowie's greatest hits, and actually did know a couple songs, but not that Bowie sang them. I will continue my training as a young jedi.

Zelda Parker said...

Pax,
Just saw Jeffery Wright's latest film and it was another fine performance.
Merci,
I have some free time this week as a matter of fact. Is it time for a chick flick?
Joe,
Even I admit I don't know the names of the "Animals" band members. How old do you think I am?
Joey B,
Glad that you took this in the proper spirit....You will do well yound jedi warrior

Merci said...

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Dunno, has anybody seen Zelda?!?

Sorry I didn't check back sooner. Let's schedule that chick flick night soon. Talk to you tomorrow, if you're at the salt mine!