Sunday, May 03, 2009

Rain, rain, rain

I took advantage of the break in the rain yesterday afternoon to finish some weeding and applied patch grass applications wherever it was need. Despite the aforementioned remarks I have never seen a lawn as nice anywhere, except maybe a golf course. Thank Goodness, it rained as I awoke, no watering needed. Despite all the rain this spring there were two azalea bushes, maybe three that had died. When I extricated them from the soil it appeared that the roots were as bound together as they were when they left a nursery. No wonder. Does anyone else have difficulty with perennials and small shrubs burning out with the ever changing climate. Maybe azaleas can only thrive in a micro climate that provides shelter from the brightest sun. Hope that the soon to bloom peonies and hydrangeas do better. I never did go our for the herbs and tomatoes that I wanted to fill deck containers today. Just stayed in pajamas and read a good book. Made dinner, read a book, watched baseball and read a book. A good day, despite the rain!
How did you spend your Sunday? (ironic, don't you think?).

2 comments:

mommanator said...

My mom always said azaleas had to be in just the right depth and place or they didnt do well and I have always found that true. She was an unbelievable gardener. Hey have ya looked over at Shannons blog and seen her 'container gardens? thye are unusual

Merci said...

Do you have a lot of clay and marl in your soil?

Aren't azaleas like rhodos and mountain laurel in liking a woodland sort of environment with shade/protection? I plan to plant some out back soon, so we'll see how they do!