Monday, September 28, 2009

Fall for Trees

Many of you know that I am a nature lover and would not be incline to cut down a perfectly healthy tree. Right? Well, a few weeks ago I remember saying to my partner that soemone is going to get hurt from the hundreds of acorns falling into the driveway. Not to mention the dents that have found the new car's roof.

Last Thursday I came home and while walking to the mailbox I slipped and fell. I hardly remember what hppened except that I stepped on the dreaded acorns and it amy have looked like Elaine Bennis (of Seinfeld) as I tried to right myself. No luck. I fell head and shoulders first, no hands to block my fall. This is not the way to meet your neighbors, nor do I like all that drama and attention focused on me. The police and ambulance responded to the 911 call and after hitting my head I decided it best to go to the ER. As the EMT's took care of me I felt the pain in the shoulder and after several hours in the ER it became more intense. There was a minor scrape on my face and a large one on my shoulder. Glad it was not the other way around. I inisisted on a CT, just to be safe. Then it turned out that there is a fracture in my right clavicle. I thought it was going to be bruised..... Too much drama. Oh, I had barely started taking the meds when the bill arrive, I kid you not.

I am typing this in part to see if I can. Trying to see if I can drive or work. We'll see what the doctor say's later. It's always something....So do we cut down the tree? I cannot be objective. Lots of kids wait for their bus in my drive way every morning, does that change your mind?

9 comments:

Pax Romano said...

I heard about your misadventure, Joey said that you "slipped on a walnut"...I thought he was kidding. Of course it was an acorn! All those years of Marx Brothers and Grey Garden's jokes, and you go and pull this one - Edie and Ms. Dumont would be proud.

Feel better soon, and call if you need anything - I promise I won't laugh, really, I wont. Oh, and in the meantime, you can start going through your sweaters and see which one would look good wrapped around your head.

Pax Romano said...

One more thing, Saul told me to tell you if you wore his patented "no slip soles" this would have never happened!

Anonymous said...

I did throw away the clogs as they were slick on the bottom.You know the Sylvia needs a new pair for the new season.

mommanator said...

O My! the tree, the tree! what do you do!? Shame you cant gather up the acorns and make something quite tasty with them!
prob quite expensive to cut it down?

Joe Tornatore said...

acorns are no joke. I was working outside last week doing an outdoor project. all week long the acorns were pelting me from the 100 foot trees above. my brother in law came over to check my work and ascertained that I needed a construction helmet to complete the project. he was talking about the missile acorns raining down.
hope you feel better.

Anonymous said...

JT, Hope that you are OK as well. Heard that there is a member of your family for whom w should all be praying. I know that the Mommonator will be doing the same.

Merci said...

How's the healing going? Have your returned to work? I'm still on vaca, so I'm not up to speed on everything.

ronandrosi.blogspot.com said...

Oak trees are beautiful, but the acorns are truly a menace! "Our" big oak tree shades the solar panel on our roof for part of the time we are here in Georgia each winter. I know people need them for shade in the summer, but I could live without the one next to our house, just off our property, on the county right of way. They also get dangerous as they age as the middle often rots out and branches the size of big trees fall. Don't feel guilty if you take it down.

Anonymous said...

Stephen Pierce is offering his book "Make Real Money on the Internet" absolutely free! Get your copy now http://tinyurl.com/y99wnzw